Cross-listing Sections into a Single Course
Cross-listing sections into a single course allows you to manage assignments for all sections of a course that you teach in one course in Canvas.
Follow the steps below to cross-list sections into a single course.
Setting up the Target Course
- Pick one of the courses that was synced over from IC to cross-list the other sections into. Do not cross-list into a master course that you created by yourself. Grade syncing will not work if this is done.
- Click on the Settings option for the course.
- Verify that the course is in the right term. It should look something like 2019-Star Valley High School-S1.
- Change the Name to something obvious. I suggest something that includes the semester number and year in it to make it easier to cross-list to the correct course. (i.e. Comp Sci III S1 18-19)
- Click on Update Course Details at the bottom of the Settings page.
- Once this is done, copy the assignments and other course material from your master course into this course.
Cross-listing Sections Into the Selected Course
For each section that you would like to cross-list to another course, follow these instructions.
- Go into the course for the section you would like to cross-list into another course.
- Click on Settings.
- Select the Sections tab at the top of the window.
- Click on the section name.
- Click on the Cross-list this Section button at the left side of the window.
- Under Search for Course, type in the name of the course that you set in the previous steps. It should pull up a list with that course in it.
- Click on the section in the list.
- Push the Cross-list this Section button.
Once you have done this, the section will show up in the course you cross-listed it to.