Adding a Printer to Your Computer
Here are the instructions for adding a printer to your computer. These instructions will help you add an network printer in the school district.
*Note – Every printer has a label on it that has the printer name. You will need this name to add the printer. The name usually follows the template SCHOOL-ROOM-MODEL. If you have an HP LaserJet 400 in room 17 in Etna Elementary, the name would look like this: EE-17-400.
- Select the Apple Menu in the upper left-hand corner of your screen.
- Select System Preferences.
- Select Printers & Scanners.
- Select the + button.
- Select IP. Do not add the printer by selecting its name from the list under the default tab. This might work, but it would only be temporary.
- Address: This would be the printer name you retrieved from the printer.
- Protocol: This must be set to LPD for it to work.
- Name: This is what the printer will show up as on your computer. Name it whatever you like to remember where it is.
- Use: If this says Generic PostScript Printer, there is a problem. It should automatically find the printer model and use the correct drivers. If it does stay on Generic PostScript Printer, double check the name on the label of the printer and make sure you entered it correctly. If that doesn’t work, put in a ticket.
- If a page shows up after selecting Add, ignore the settings and just continue with the setup and you will be finished!